Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Democracy is the best form of government on earth."

I'm not so sure anymore. I started to have doubts about democracy when G.W. Bush was first "elected." Polls said a lot of Americans voted for him because they thought he'd be more fun to have a beer with. They seemed to have confused Frat President with President of the US of A. They when they voted for him again, I became even more dubious about the form of government the ancient Greeks coughed up and the founding fathers got so stirred up about. You'd think Americans would have learned that choosing someone based on who you "relate to" didn't work out so well over the last 8 years. But now I hear people are all enthused about Sarah Palin because "she's a hockey mom!" "She's like me!" As for me, I don't want a president-in-waiting like me. I want someone more informed than, more experienced than, smarter than, more stable than, and with better leadership qualities, judgment and political skills than I have. This whole "like me" appeal of a candidate is scarier than Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. It seems like some really contagious narcissism virus that's a lethal threat to democracy.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Amen! The whole Sarah Palin thing is really scary. Why don't people want a smart president? It makes no sense.